Welcome to Vega! This is a work-in-progress documentation site.
If you have questions, join our community on Discord! We're keen to help.
What is Vega?
Vega is a protocol for creating and trading derivatives on a fully decentralised network.
Currently, Vega is in restricted mainnet, which is run by a set of validators. There's also a Vega testnet called Fairground, which has trading enabled.
- Vega whitepaper: A high-level overview of the protocol
- Vega website: More about the project and the team
- Vega on YouTube: Video walkthroughs and conversations with Vega contributors
- Engineering roadmap: Board showing the features the team has planned and their current status
What is Vega's restricted mainnet?
Restricted mainnet is the first decentralised version of the Vega network. The first step of a three-stage launch process, it will be followed by alpha mainnet, which will have trading with limits, and v1 mainnet with unrestricted trading.
- Tokenholders can nominate validators - Tokenholders earn staking rewards for securing the network.
- Network governance is encouraged - Tokenholders can take part in proposing and voting on changes to network configuration to define the optimal network configuration in preparation for the alpha release.
- Trading is disabled - It will not be possible to create markets and trade on this version of mainnet.
Although restricted mainnet is a live, decentralised network that allows tokenholders to interact with it, it is also an extended test phase.
Its functionality is limited and is riskier than networks that will follow it, and involves regularly scheduled software upgrades and downtime. There will probably some growing pains as the network is stress-tested and upgrades are rolled out.
Mainnet incidents: Vega publishes information about mainnet incidents and their resolutions on the blog.
How can I use Vega?
- Get a Vega Wallet: You'll need it for staking, and you can connect it to Fairground, and use it for trading on Vega Console (through the wallet).
Token management and network governance
- Mainnet token interface: Interact with your $VEGA tokens on the token interface.
- Mainnet FAQ: Regularly updated list of the most commonly asked questions and answers to help you get your bearings with restricted mainnet.
- Fairground governance interface: You can also try out the interface using testnet tokens, if you want to familiarise yourself with it first.
Fairground, Vega's testnet
- Learn about Fairground: Though trading isn't enabled on mainnet, you can try trading on Fairground. Place an order, track your positions, and explore the margin mechanism using Fairground. Keep an eye on the site for incentive opportunties, too.
- Share your proposal on Discord: If you propose a market, let everyone know on Discord so that people can vote on it.
How can I contribute to Vega?
- Bugs and feature requests: Raise any bugs you find, or feature requests you have, on Vega's feedback board.
- Documentation translation: Raise an issue on the documentation repo to express your interest in translating Vega documentation.